Are you portraying what you think people want to see and hear or are you showing up with your best real “you”!
Here are some tips on showing up with your BEST REAL “you”:
- Being yourself IS the gift you give to yourself and to the people you meet
- Don’t be fake or try and go out of your way to try and impress them it just doesn’t work – people see right through it
- There is only one of you in the world so let your hair down and let them see the real great “you”
- Keep the conversation light, fun, funny and upbeat
- We all love to laugh so keep it real
- Don’t waste your time or theirs by trying to be someone you’re NOT
- You can have the greatest products and services but it’s so important to make that distinct connection
- Networking is truly about making a connection to another individual
- Show them who you are through possible common interests or you may know a lot of the same people
Just think, networking gives us the opportunity to share a bit of ourselves with other people by being real, open and honest. Show up with integrity and trustworthiness. And most importantly show up and be present. Listen to what the other people are saying. We can all grow and learn from each other.
It’s not just about networking it’s taking the time to find and make those special connects with like-minded individuals where you both are bringing something to the table. It’s a genuine give and take opportunity to learn and grow within yourself and to help other individuals, whether in business or personally. I learned at a very early age that pretending to be someone else just doesn’t work. If you are pretending to be someone else….maybe ask yourself “Why”? First, you’re not being honest with yourself and certainly not being real and honest with the people you meet.
In the past 25+ years through networking I’ve been extremely fortunate to have met people from all backgrounds, all walks of life who have become a part of my life and a part of my family. Through the years I have spent many, many wonderful holidays with these people who have enriched my life more than I can express. Conversations that were loving, thoughtful and has taught me much about life and myself. Also, many of these individuals I’ve had the privilege to travel extensively with them throughout the world.
So being who you really are whether you’re networking or not gives you back so many personal gifts! When you first meet an individual and they immediately see the real you, they will want to get to know you better. Why? Because you’re real, honest, open and fun to talk to. I believe by being real you are opening that door for others to feel that connection too. There are no road blocks or pretentiousness. You’re making others feel comfortable and you are inviting them to be just who they are too. You can’t get any better than that!